Monday 19 January 2015

Ork Racer Part 1

These are the drawings I did of the model I was going to make as a thank you to my friend Ike. He helped me to overcome my problems with the blog and I felt the best I could do in return would be to make him a special model using cast resin pieces. The vehicle was to be an Ork racer made from the turret of a KV-1 Russian
tank mounted on the most outrageous knobby wheels. This entry is about the process of making these wheels.





 
Above are two drawings which set out the look of the wheel, with its extravagant tread pattern and in the lower one, how it was to be made and its size.Thick plastic sheet was to be laminated after the correct sized holes were drilled.  
 




 
These photos show part of the drilling,milling and finishing of the central holes. I have no simple way of making a clean hole above a certain size, so an enlarging procedure must be used employing grinding and sanding.
 

The holes are done, now comes the gluing under the weight shown to laminate them before  they are rounded into their final circular form.


 
Well they look like wheels with at least two levels of depth and a central axle hole. Note how they conform to the plans. I'm amazed sometimes how things actually go to plan. Good for me.



I used thick solder to make the tread pattern and super glue to fill the undercuts that are formed by laying a circular section on to a flat. You can also see the use of epoxy to help with the larger gaps.





Here we see the casting process from the initial mould box to a view of the two parts of the mould, to the first cast wheel still with its pour plug in place. The final pic shows all the wheels cast, their moulds and the master in front. Behind are the tank turrets which are the subject of the next entry.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment