Friday 13 January 2012

Types of models (part 2)


Andrea 90mm metal Templar Knight painted as a Hospitaler. The base is scratch built out of plaster and weathered appropriately for a desert  scene.



My brother-in-law rang one day and said "What's a Mylodon?' They had been to the Mylodon Cave in South America and thought he'd catch me out but he was wrong! The said beast is known from only one fossil in that particular cave and I had a picture of it , alongside its better known relative ,the Megatherium or Giant Ground Sloth. This  model is made from Das Pronto , my favourite air drying clay.


 Red Dragon Tower-- a model made  for a niece's wedding. I had made a dragon diorama for my oldest  niece as a wedding gift and this was the second , my sister's older girl. The tower  is urethane foam covered in Das which was scribed , painted and weathered in acrylics. Over a wire armature , bulked with aluminium foil, Das was added until Dragon was achieved. The wing membranes were tissue paper soaked in white glue stretched over  the thin 'fingers' of the wing. This is an in-progress stage with the dragon being test fitted.

 Not a model this time but a drawing in coloured pencil , for my daughter, of one of her favourite characters, Tank Girl. It is a copy of a very small photo and I didn't know what I was actually depicting until the whole thing was completed. I can remember  saying to myself ,'So that's  what that thing was ,it looked like a blue blob, now it's a compass.

This was my first really ambitious Warhammer dioramic build and it got slightly out of hand.I had modified   an Ork Painboy to activate a lever  which lead to various machines also connected to other thinga-me -whatsits etc etc.The central large figure was  a combination of  a  Lord of the Rings Cave Troll and the famous  war boss Ghazghull Thraka and he is demanding 'Powa to da Ork!' Many wires connect the various sub-machines (all made from thin lead solder) but it would have been a good idea to have painted them first!
 

 

 

 

 

1 comment: