Saturday 7 January 2012

Introduction


I am 62.  I have been a teacher, photographer, tshirt designer and printer, then back to teacher again.  I am now retired and have rediscovered model making.  I have always been interested in art and illustration particularly fantasy and monsters.

I live in Tropical North Queensland (Australia) and due to the weather conditions, (high humidity, high rainfall, ideal mould growing environment) some of the techniques and materials I use I've developed specifically to cope with our climate.

I started with 1:72 aircraft, moved into tanks, then started to convert things.  When the tanks started growing spider legs, I realised my calling and jumped head first into monster making.  I'd like this to be a record of the pieces I've made as well as current projects.

Most of my larger projects have been documented photographically throughout their build and on this blog I will be showing the process from design sketches to finished piece.

I prefer to scratch build using strong soldered wire armatures, bulked with aluminium foil and covered with either sculpey type materials or epoxy putties.  Certain projects have pushed me to learn casting and moulding techniques, which although tricky in the climate have worked well enough to open my horizons.

The above model shows the degree of detail and basic scale I work in.  It is 18 inches wide, no 28mm midget this.

There are not many other modellers in my area and I have realised that although I am not computer proficient, this medium may be a way of linking with others.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment